Connect

New Search X

Chinese homebuyers turn to Montreal for their foreign investments

Monday, August 7th, 2017 at 5:40pm Engel & Völkers Montréal

No. 1 Chinese international property portal indicates that Montreal is about to outshine Vancouver as prime investment location.

According to Juwai.com, which has over two million visitors per month, Canada ranks 4th among most researched cities, ahead of the United Kingdom but behind the United States, Australia and Hong Kong.

Chinese have made record foreign real estate investments in 2016, reaching C$130 billion, an increase of 25.4% compared to 2015. Juwai predicts numbers will range near C$106 billion in 2017.

Research data reveals Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa and Victoria as preferred investment destinations, in that order, for Chinese homebuyers.

Juway analysts believe the 15 per cent foreign-buyer tax on Vancouver real estate introduced in August 2016 may have played a role in bumping Vancouver off the pole position for Chinese real estate investors. It should be noted that Ontario just adopted a similar tax.

According to the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), 30% more foreign investors purchased a property in Montreal during the first six months of 2017, 60% the previous year for an impressive total increase of 90% in two years. 17% were of Chinese origin, whereas that proportion didn’t reach 10% in 2016. CMHC confirms foreign interest towards the Montreal real estate market continues to rise.

It is important to understand, however, that these foreign investments in Greater Montreal are nowhere near those of Toronto or Vancouver in proportion to total sales with 4 times more foreign buyers in Greater Toronto and three times more in Vancouver.

When asked if a possible impact on prices was to be expected, the Quebec Federation of Real Estate Boards indicated it deems the number of foreign buyers is still reasonable to have a substantial impact on Montreal real estate prices. It reiterated the mains factors which push prices upward are interest rates, demography, disposable income and offer which is rather flourishing at the moment in Montreal.

Sources : Western Investor, WI Staff, July 31, 2017; ici.radio-canada.ca, text by René Saint-Louis, August 3, 2017

Le plus important portail de recherche immobilière internationale de Chine indique que Montréal est sur le point d’éclipser Vancouver comme destination de choix.

Selon Juwai.com, qui compte plus de 2 millions de visiteurs chaque mois, le Canada serait au 4e rang des villes recherchées, derrière les États-Unis, l’Australie et Hong Kong, mais devant la Grande Bretagne.

Les chinois ont fait des investissements immobiliers records à l’étranger en 2016, soit plus de 130 milliards de dollars canadiens - une augmentation de 25,4% par rapport à 2015. Juwai estime qu’ils seront de l’ordre de 106 milliards en 2017.

Leurs statistiques de recherches indiquent que Toronto, Montréal, Vancouver, Ottawa et Victoria seraient, dans l’ordre, les destinations préférées des investisseurs chinois.

Les analystes de Juwai pensent que l’arrivée en août 2016 d’une taxe de 15 % imposée aux investisseurs étrangers sur les achats immobiliers à Vancouver pourrait avoir joué un rôle à détrôner la ville de la première place. À noter que l’Ontario vient d’introduire une taxe similaire.

Selon la Société canadienne d’hypothèque et de logement (SCHL), 30% plus d'investisseurs étrangers ont acheté une propriété à Montréal au cours des six premiers mois de 2017, 60% l’année précédente pour un impressionnant total de 90% d’augmentation en 2 ans. 17% étaient d’origine chinoise, alors que cette proportion n’atteignait pas les 10% en 2016. La SCHL confirme donc que l’intérêt étranger envers le marché immobilier montréalais continue de grimper.

Il faut cependant comprendre que ces investissements étrangers du Grand Montréal ne sont pas encore aux stades Toronto et Vancouver en proportion des ventes totales avec 4 fois plus d’acheteurs étrangers pour le Grand Toronto et 3 fois plus à Vancouver.

Interrogée à savoir un impact sur les prix était à prévoir, la Fédération des chambres immobilières du Québec a indiqué qu’elle estime que le nombre d’acheteurs étrangers est encore raisonnable pour avoir une influence substantielle sur les prix de l’immobilier montréalais. Elle rappelle que les principaux éléments qui poussent les prix à la hausse sont les taux d’intérêts, la démographie, le revenu disponible et l’offre, qui est plutôt florissante à Montréal en ce moment.

Sources : Western Investor, WI Staff, July 31, 2017; ici.radio-canada.ca, texte de René Saint-Louis, 3 août 2017

Leave a Comment